Job Title: Roscoff Culture Collection Technician
Employer: Sorbonne University
Location: Roscoff Marine Station, Brittany, France
Unit/service: FR2424 / CRBM
Type of contract: 1 year fixed term (renewable)
Work quota: Full time
Qualifications: Up to undergraduate degree
Pay scale: Between 1914€ and 2103€ brut per month depending on experience
Start date: 01/06/2023
The selected candidate will work in the technical team of the Roscoff Culture Collection (RCC: https://roscoff-culture-collection.org/) which is one of the largest and most diverse public collections of marine microorganism cultures in the world, with more than 6000 strains of microalgae, heterotrophic protists, bacteria and viruses. The RCC provides access to these strains and associated services for educational institutes and public / private laboratories around the world. The RCC is part of the Marine Biological Resource Centre (CRBM) of the FR2424 unit of the Roscoff Marine Station, as well as the national infrastructure EMBRC-France (www.embrc-fr.fr). The selected candidate will assist the RCC team in the daily running of the collection and participate in the implementation of national and international projects (Phenomap, Atlasea, BlueRemediomics, Microbe).
• Routine maintenance of cultures (preparation of culture media, routine verification of strains, transfers, scale-up of cultures, etc.)
• Shipping of strains (order processing, preparation of strains, shipment, follow-up, billing)
• Use of a database, implementation and updating of technical procedures within the context of a Quality Management System
• Management of stocks and orders
• Biology Diploma up to undergraduate level (general knowledge of biology and biochemistry) • Good practical knowledge of concepts and methodologies in microbiology
• Working knowledge of H&S rules linked to the handling of microorganisms and lab chemicals • Experience of using lab books to record activities
• IT skills (Office)
• Excellent teamwork skills
• Good communication skills and the ability to interact with external interlocutors
• Good level of scientific English (spoken and written)
• At least a preliminary level of spoken French would be an advantage
The agent will work under the supervision of Priscillia Gourvil (Technical Director of the RCC) and Ian Probert (Director of the CRBM).
Send a motivation letter and a detailed CV with the names of 2 references before the 1/03/2023 by e- mail to
. Interview planned in Roscoff (or by videoconference) before the 15th March.